PART ONE: NAME THAT HAT
DECEMBER 22, 2006 THE CATHOLIC HERALD
Send your answers, marked ʻChristmastide Quizʼ to us at the address on Page 11 of the main paper. Answers in our January 5 issue
Since he was elected, Pope Benedict has been pictured in an astonishing array of hats. But do you know what they are called? Match the name to the photograph. 1) the Roman galero; 2) the camauro; 3) Spanish Guardia Civil cap; 4) Italyʼs Alpine regiment cap; 5) baseball cap; 6) Panama
PART TWO: THE YEAR THAT WAS
Answer the following multiple-choice questions:
1. January: Which British actor was cast to play the role of Lord Longford in a Channel Four drama?
A. Jim Broadbent B. Ray Winstone C. Ian Holm
2. February: Which European leader caused controversy by comparing himself to Jesus Christ?
A. Vladimir Putin B. Tony Blair C. Silvio Berlusconi
3. March: Which rock star, known as the ʻpope of mopeʼ, admitted that he was becoming “increasingly Catholic”?
A. Morrissey B. Leonard Cohen C. Nick Cave
4. April: Paris Hilton was rumoured to be in the running to play who in a forthcoming biopic?
A. Princess Diana B. Mother Teresa C. Florence Nightingale
5. May: Pope Benedict blessed a fleet of which Italian sports car?
A. Alfa Romeo B. Ferrari C. Lamborghini
7. July: Which Catholic MP started a campaign against “lads mags”?
A. Ann Widdecombe B. Claire Curtis Thomas C. David Amess
8. August:A German scientist claimed an excessive use of what during Mass surpassed European safety limits?
A. Candles B. Wine C. Incense
9. September: How much did a popemobile used by John Paul II on his visit to Scotland in 1982 sell at auction for?
A. £37,000 B. £78,500 C. £120,000
10. October: Which BBC news presenter was advised to remove a cross worn during a broadcast?
A. Fiona Bruce B. Sophie Rayworth C. Huw Edwards
11. November:A painting worth £50m, depicting Jesus calling the Apostles Andrew and Simon, was discovered at Hampton Court. Who painted it?
A. Rembrandt B. Vemeer C. Caravaggio
6. June: Football star Kaka played in the World Cup with the phrase, “I belong to Jesus” stitched on to his boots. Which country does he represent?
A. Brazil B. Paraguay C. Argentina
12. December: For a fee, a Portugese businessman offered to do what for sick believers?
A. Receive Communion B. Go on pilgrimage C. Go to Confession
PART THREE: HE SAID WHAT?
Match the person to the quotation A.Archbishop Nichols B. Pope Benedict XVI C. Mel Gibson D. Cardinal Murphy-OʼConnor E. Fr Sean Breen F. Sister Wendy Beckett
1. “Updating sacred music is possible but this cannot happen unless it follows the tradition of Gregorian chants”
2. “Those who are elected to fashion our laws are not elected to be our moral tutors”
3.”People find prayer hard because itʼs so simple, so painfully simple”
4.”I acted like a person completely out of control and said things that I do not believe to be true”
5. “Madonna clearly has issues from her childhood concerning religion which still need to be worked through”
6. “Iʼm a small gambler. You canʼt beat the book makers”
Catholic Schools Catholic Schools TTeacher Recruitment eacher Recruitment and and free Subscription free Subscription Scheme Scheme
The Catholic Herald recruitment classified department is running a scheme to supply the staff-rooms of Catholic Schools all over the UK with a free subscription of The Catholic Herald when they place an advert. If you place an advert and spend more than Ł219.00, then your staff-room will benefit from a FREE, 26 WEEK SUBSCRIPTIONof The Catholic Herald. Spend between Ł146.00(10 cm x 2 col) and Ł219.00(15cm x 2 col), and get 13 WEEKS FREE. This scheme will: l. Createeasy access to many Catholic teachers for recruitment purposes. 2. Ensurethat your advert will be reaching Catholic schools all over the country. 4. Keepreaders at your school in touch with current Catholic news, features, art and cultural reviews, and our own educational commentary on a weekly basis. 5. Helpyou find a cost-effective solution to your recruitment needs (The Catholic Herald offers one of the least expensive recruitment rates in the market). 6. Supplyyou with a free newspaper! Call Billie Goodger, classified sales and production on 020 7448 3613 for details
The offer is based on ratecard quotes. If an agency books we will calculate the scheme on gross cost (before agency 10% commission).
PART FOUR: FILM BUFFS
Match the film with the comments made by our reviewers:
1. “The result is a Dickensian number of interrelated plot strands all squished into two troubling hours”
2. “The shooting of an entire family with a shotgun is clearly wrong whoever you are”
3. “When something takes itself as seriously as this, even if it is good, my instinct is to recoil”
4. “The perfect test for a bio
graphical film is to see its effects on a mind unpolluted by knowledge of its subject”
5. “The young gang leader is an absolute baddy with no scruples or remorse”
A. Walk the Line B. Syriana C. Goodnight and Good Luck D. Capote E. Tsotsi
Think of a caption for this picture of Pope Benedict XVI and Orthodox Archbishop Christodoulos signing a joint declaration at t he Vatican
CHRISTMAS PROGRAMMES ON CATHOLIC TELEVISION
Join EWTN for Christmas with LIVEevents from Rome and special seasonal programming commemorating Our Lord’s birth. Then, continue to enjoy EWTN’s wide variety of programmes throughout the year including: Daily Mass and Devotions, Major Church Events from Rome, Global Catholic News, Teaching Series, Documentaries & Dramas, LIVE Call-in Chat Shows, Children & Young Adult Programmes and Musical Specials.
Each generation of your family will be spiritually nourished and find solace in the rich heritage of our Catholic faith by tuning in to EWTN, which is available 24 hours a day, 7days a week.
SKYnow on EPG 769, SKY Freesat, and to anyone equipped with proper satellite dish and receiver EWTN Radio also available on Sky EPG 0147.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
St ClareMedia (EWTN) Ltd (Charity No 1080782) PO Box 913 • Enfield EN2 0WY Tel 08700 636 734 email@example.com