SPECIAL DEALS FOR MONEYWISE READERS
Five ways to cut the cost of childcare
BY NATHALIE BONNEY BY
Childcare costs have pushed nearly a quarter of UK parents into debt, according to a study from the Daycare Trust and Save the Children. Read our tips for reducing your childcare bill.
1. SHARE THE COSTS Use websites nannyshare.co.uk and thenannysharers.co.uk, as well as gumtree.com, to find families and nannies in your local area, and then share a nanny – and the cost.
2. CONSIDER FLEXIBLE WORKING Could you manage to work from home and watch your child? Anyone caring for a child aged six or under has the right to claim flexible working hours from their employer.You need to have been in your job for at least 26 weeks.
income and how many children you have. If you work more than 16 hours a week and pay for registered childcare, you can also claim some of the cost through working tax credits.
4. UTILISE FREE CHILDCARE Contact your local family information service (familyinformationservices.org. uk) to see what childcare arrangements and after-school clubs are running in your local area. Children aged three to four are eligible for at least 15 hours a week of early years care.
3. USE ALL YOUR BENEFITS Families with at least one child are entitled to child benefit until 2013 (when payments will be stopped for families where either parent earns over £44,000 a year).You’ll receive £20.30 a week tax-free for your eldest child, plus £13.40 for each additional child. You can also claim child tax credits,
which are based on your
5. CHILDCARE VOUCHERS Ask your employer about childcare voucher schemes, which are a form of salary sacrifice. Because you claim these benefits before tax, effectively you will be reducing your tax bill. Basic-rate taxpayers stand to receive vouchers worth a maximum of £243 a month, while higher-rate earners can claim up to £124.
WINWITH MONEYWISE…VAUDE PIZOL JACKET (RRP:£165) The Pizol Jacket is a sporty ski jacket made with a technical material mix that allows it to be completely windproof and breathable. Available in both men’s and women’s styles. For more information go to vaude.co.uk.
For a chance to win, send a postcard with your name, address and phone number to Pizol Jacket, 21 Mansell Street, London, E1 8AA by 10 October. Entrants must be 18 years or over and not an employee of Vaude, associated companies, their dependants, relatives or anyone else connected with the promotion.
10 MONEYWISE | OCTOBER 2011
Steal of the month
Prospect of a long winter ahead getting you down? Cheer yourself up with our cut-price treats
£15 off First Orders Over £20 at La Redoute Go to the website and register as a new customer, then use the order code 8333 at the checkout to benefit from the discount. Start shopping at http://bit.ly/qqRtWS
10% off orders at Moda in Pelle
Footwear and accessories website Moda in Pelle is offering new customers 10% off their orders: input NEWCUST code into the checkout. Start shopping at http://bit.ly/rdfKkD
Burger, fries and drink for £10 at GBK Enjoy a meal for a tenner at Gourmet Burger kitchen. Download the voucher from the link below and fill in your details. Offer valid until 23 October 2011. http://bit.ly/rt9ZHO
Two-for-one tickets for We Will Rock You Get two-for-one top-priced tickets (usually £60 each) to the Queen-inspired West End show We Will Rock You; offer does not apply to Saturday evening performances. Go to http://bit.ly/pHsAmL
20% off Asda gift experiences Save a fifth of the final price at Asda Experiences, including flying lessons, pamper days and short breaks, by inputting the code TREAT20 into the checkout. http://bit.ly/dWe4fO
40% off Odeon cinema tickets Click on the link http://bit.ly/pw5WlV to download a 40% off voucher or enter code ‘Film40’ when buying tickets online. Hurry! Offer only valid until 13 October 2011.