Subscriptions to The Railway Magazine
Full refund within 30 days if you're not completely satisfied.
page:
contents page
previous next
zoom out zoom in
thumbnails double page single page large double page
fit width
clip to blog
click to zoom in click to zoom in
page:
contents page
previous next
zoom out zoom in
thumbnails double page single page large double page
fit width
clip to blog

Time Traveller

Former Caledonian Railway 4P 4-6-0 No. 14621 pilots a fellow former ‘Caley’ engine, 4P ‘Clan’ No. 14763 Clan Fraser, away from Oban in 1938 with a heavy LMS express to Glasgow. E.C.B. ASHFORD

Classifi ed ‘HA’ under the pre-TOPS scheme, a fl eet of 24 2,700hp electric locomotives was built at Doncaster for the Southern Region, later becoming Class 71s. No. E5020 leaves Sandling Junction with the 11.10am Charing Cross-Margate on June 9, 1961. B.G. TWEED

44 • The Railway Magazine • April 2009 From The Railway Magazine archives

Passing the Grimsby & Immingham Tramway car sheds at Immingham in this rare colour scene from circa 1960 is V2 2-6-2 No. 60905. The tramway was built by the Great Central, inherited by the LNER and closed by BR in 1961. JOHN WILKINS COLLECTION, COURTESY BRYAN BOSKETT

Memories of steam on the Great Western/Great Central Joint as ‘King’ 4-6-0 No. 6017 King Edward IV passes Gerrards Cross with the 6.10pm Paddington-Birmingham Snow Hill express in 1934. C.R.L. COLES

April 2009 • The Railway Magazine • 45