Once upon a time this bike would have been brand new and at the fore-front of mountain bike technology with its Japanese gears, wide bars and fat (phat?) tyres. It was probably bought so the owner could experience this emerging sport from America, where men in flannel shirts and gardening gloves raced down dusty fire roads. Maybe it had adventures of it’s own, with more mud than those American bikes ever saw. Today it sits unloved and unused in a work yard contemplating its glory days and watching its tyres degrade.
We all started somewhere. Contents
7. Editorial Chipps looks back to look forward again
8. You Can’t Go Home Again Sim revisits the Lakeland woods he learned to ride in.
16. Beginnings A look back at the neon days of the early days of mountain biking.
22. 21 st Century Pass Storming Benji takes inspiration from the pass-storming Rough Stuffers of the pre-war years.
32. Blame The Dog Mike Ferrentino’s column looks at his thinner, fitter, keener, younger self.
35. Bike Test: New Leaf Bikes Three new design suspension bikes from Cannondale, Scott and Turner.
44. One Ton Weekends How much mountain bike fun can you have for £100? A whole lot reckons Steve M. and three pals off to the Peaks.
52. Long Term Test Bikes Some surprising new additions to the staff bike sheds.
56. Interview – Todd Seplavy The new boss of Evil Bikes put under the grill.
62. Through the Grinder More products real-world tested through the dark and cold months.
72. Fitness – Lose the Fat! Matt Hart is shockingly honest with his plan to get you to lose some flab.
76. Column: Going Back To Our Roots. Benji finds that Gisburn Forest has been moving with the times.
78. Column: Faye Stewart Faye wonders why people look oddly at her scratched and bruised mountain biking legs.
80. What’s In Your Handbag? Five complete kit lists for every conceivable riding trip nearby.
88. Doing The Business. Duncan Moore tells you how to make it big, or not, in the bike business.
92. Armchair Warriors Matt criticises the ‘now’ generation while writing his blog and posting on Facebook.
94. Competition – Win A Race Season! We’ve got you free entry to ALL the top events of the year.
96. Gallery Relax for a moment and sink into some inspirational riding shots.
102. Column: Philip Diprose Once, he was a gawky looking youth riding in bad clothes. At least he’s older now.
104. Old vs New Dan Barham compares the dream bike of his teens to his new full susser.
110. Subscribe To Singletrack! You get all sorts of cool benefits if you do…
112. Head to Head – Commencal Meta vs Orange ST-4 Will these similar-looking bikes share a common bond, or is it all out war?
116. Route Guide: Kent James Lyons rides some of the lesser-ridden corners of the South East.
127. Outro Who writes this stuff anyway?