Full refund within 30 days if you're not completely satisfied.
July 18 - 24 2012 No. 1095
THE WEEKLY WORLD EDITION OF The Daily Telegraph AND The Sunday Telegraph telegraph.co.uk/expat
:: NEWS PAGE 3
Wet and wild Even Tiger complains about the weather
Alps avalanche Three British climbers among nine dead :: NEWS P5
By Con Coughlin and James Kirkup THOUSANDS of Armed Forces personnel have been drafted in to Olympic security at short notice after the private company given the contract admitted it had failed to recruit enough staff.
The company, G4S, said it “deeply regrets” its failure and its boss has said he is considering his position.
security contract and leaving the Armed Forces to bear the burden.
The Ministry of Defence said last year that 13,500 military personnel would be assigned to Olympic duties, with 7,500 in security roles at venues. It is understood that another 3,500 troops have now been told to prepare for Games duties.
And both Lord Coe, the chairman of the London 2012
And David Cameron said the government will pursue the company for money, after its failure to fulfill its £284m contract was revealed last week.
INSIDE ‘Lethal force’
to protect London’s airspace p2
Olympic organising committee (Locog), and Jeremy Hunt, the Culture Secretary, said that even more forces staff could be called up to provide security.
The Army has been ordered to provide more troops to make up for the shortfall.
Many of the soldiers who are being drafted in will be forced to carry out “menial” security work for the Olympic Games, which has left defence chiefs furious.
It is understood that defence chiefs have complained angrily to Olympic organisers, accusing them of mismanaging the
Defence sources said the total military contribution is likely to reach 20,000 personnel – a 10th of the entire Armed Forces.
Many of the troops assigned to the Games are veterans of the war in Afghanistan.
They will be ordered to carry out rudimentary security work, including bag searches at entrances.
Commanders are particularly angry about the
Continued on page 2
TIGER WOODS has complained that Britain’s summer downpours have left parts of the Open course “almost unplayable”.
The American golfer spent five hours practising at Royal Lytham & St Annes golf club in Lancashire on Sunday ahead of the tournament, which starts on Thursday.
Woods, 36, spoke before his arrival of how Britain’s unpredictable weather makes the
Open his favourite major championship.
However, after flying in by private jet for an early start at Royal Lytham on Sunday morning, he told of his surprise at how difficult the playing conditions had become after weeks of heavy rain.
Asked about how he found the rough, the player said: “Oh my God! It’s just that you can’t get out of it. The bottom six inches is so
Death mystery Did billionaire heir live with his wife’s body for aweek? :: NEWS P4
History for sale ‘Everything must go’ at BBC World Service :: FEATURES P24
lush. The wispy stuff, we’ve always faced that at every Open. But that bottom six inches, in some places it’s almost unplayable.”
Woods said it was important to get in a long practice session before the weather turned wet again. “That’s why I did a lot of work out here because come the next few days you probably won’t be able to get any.”
The Open, previews: Page 45
‘Look, the Shard’
Rain continues to soak Britain, bringing more floods
Report: Page 5